Wednesday 21 October 2015

Korean Chung admits his FIFA candidacy hangs by a thread


South Korea's Chung Mong-joon says he has been left in a "double bind" after a Swiss court rejected his request to temporarily lift a six-year ban from football that would allow him to stand as a candidate in FIFA's presidential election.

FIFA said on Tuesday that a Zurich District Court denied Chung's request and ruled there was no indication of a defective procedure on the part of the soccer body's ethics committee in banning the South Korean. 

Chung has said he would appeal the ban to the Court of Arbitration for Sport and described the sanction as a "shameful attempt" to punish his open criticism of FIFA, which is mired in the worst corruption scandal in its 111-year history.


Chung hit out at FIFA on Wednesday, saying the ethics committee had yet to provide him with the reasoned decision behind his ban, which undermined his court case. 
"FIFA continues to sabotage my candidacy for FIFA president. I am in a double bind: I cannot maintain my candidacy because of the unjust sanctions, but I cannot appeal those sanctions or get an injunction from the Swiss court because I do not have the reasoned decision that FIFA's Ethics Committee has so far refused to send me," the scion of South Korea's Hyundai industrial conglomerate said in a statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment